Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Dance Like You're Dancing with a Friend

After my post “Dance Like No One is Watching” a friend of mine shared that she was inspired to dance naked in the tanning booth. So often when I’m dancing I think of her and know that there is a friend I’m dancing with.

One of my morning rituals, when my schedule allows, is to watch at least the first 15 minutes of the Ellen Degeneres show in the morning. Ellen makes me smile and laugh out loud. And every morning, I dance with Ellen.

I’ve experienced being in a room of people who are all dancing, yet each person maintained an individual expression. It is hard to explain exactly; each person was dancing privately though we were all in the same room. Or at least that was my experience. At that time, dance seemed to be a kind of physical meditation of a personal nature; a way to get in touch with one’s body. It was not so much intended to be a group exercise or interaction, though we were all dancing “together”. This, for me, falls under the category of “dance like no one is watching”. I look forward to exploring this experience further. It is not what I’m talkin’ about now, though.

Have you ever taken over the dance floor with a group of friends? No personal drama or relational entanglements to worry about, no mating ritual posturing, no couples pairing off, just a group of friends out for a good time. Remember dancing around with your friends, laughing and cutting loose and having fun? Remember how the shared energy and laughter just cultivated more and more enjoyment?

I’ve found that there is, for me, a different level of joy and abandon when I am dancing with a friend --- or friends. The experience of sharing the bliss of music and movement really gets me energized. I love it when I can dance together with other people who are also having fun dancing. I’m less self-conscious and more able to just let go and dance. I feel empowered and inspired and willing to really just move for the sheer joy of it.

Whether I’m actually with a friend, or thinking of a dancing friend, or dancing with Ellen on TV, I love the joy I get when I dance like I’m dancing with a friend.

Dance party anyone?

Hugs,
Kelly

No comments: